Studies have shown that children who do not read during the summer experience a loss of reading level. By the time kids get to Middle School, this loss could amount to a 2 year lag behind students who read over summer vacation!
To help prevent this loss, the Elementary Reading Recovery staff have created a Summer Reading Program for TES students! The program has two facets:
- Starting on May 28, the Elementary Library will be open every Wednesday evening from 4-6pm for students in grades K-4. No matter which Wednesday you check your book out, it will be due July 30th.
- For students who are unable to get to the library during those hours, the TES Book Buggy will be touring Tonganoxie every Wednesday! They'll drive around the neighborhoods, to the pool, and anyplace else there may be kids looking for books to read!
Recently there have been some state and local decisions concerning the governance of special education services in Leavenworth County. Mr. Weseman wanted our parents and patrons to rest assured that there should be no visible change in the way our special education programs are conducted. He has written a letter of explanation to district families, outlining how it will ultimately improve the services we provide our students.
If anyone has any questions concerning this change, feel free to contact the District Administrative Center at 913-845-2153 or by email.
At their March meeting, the Board of Education approved academic calendars for the next two school years, giving staff and patrons the ability to plan far into the future.
The district publishes two different types of calendar each year:
An academic calendar, approved by the Board of Education, listing first and last class days of each semester, parent-teacher conferences, holidays, etc.
2013-2014 Academic Year Calendar - 1 page
A 16-page Athletics and Activities Calendar - This calendar is designed primarily for parents and patrons, contains the school-year schedule as well as athletic events, school activities, meetings, and a variety of other information.
Printed copies of these calendars are available at the District Administrative Center and in the school buildings.
This online calendar is updated as changes occur; it will always be more accurate than the printed version.
Kaw Valley League/RSchoolToday High School Events Calendar - this subscription service will allow district patrons to view, search, filter and print a variety of calendars for high school events and activities. The calendar may also be accessed by going to www.kawvalleyleague.org then clicking Tonganoxie at the right side of the page.
Here are the bell schedules for the current school year:
At their September '12 meeting, the Board of Education approved new policies and procedures for requesting district facilities.
A Facility Use Packet has been developed to help patrons with the proper forms, contact information, and billing procedures.
If you currently use, or plan to use, district facilities, please take a look at the packet to help insure that the proper procedures are being followed. Feel free to print the packet so all the information is readily available.
To reserve a district facility:
- Call or visit the scheduling coordinator of the facility you wish to request. For TES, call Carlie Puhr at 913-845-2290. For TMS, call Mark Altman at 845-2627. For THS, (except the Chieftain Room) call Brent Smith at 845-3042. For the Chieftain Room, call Julie Bernard at 845-2654. They will be able to tell you if the facility is available when you need it.
- Once you have determined that the facility is available, fill out the Facility Request form and get a signature from the scheduling coordinator or administrator at the appropriate building.
- Send the completed and signed form, and insurance waiver if required, to Bill Seymour at the District Administrative Center. Fees will be assessed and you will be contacted about payment to secure the facility.