Due to planned system maintenance, Skyward will be completely unavailable from 3:00pm on Friday, March 13th to late afternoon on Friday, March 20th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Trash Bag Sales - Order Now!
In order to provide the graduating class of 2015 with a safe after-graduation party, the Project Grad Committee is conducting their ever-popular annual trash bag sale. If you would like to order these heavy duty trash bags, fill out the order form, contact the High School East office at 913-845-2654, or email email@example.com.
Act quickly - the deadline is February 28th!
Budget Cuts Announced
The following is a statement from Superintendent Dr. Lyn Rantz regarding Governor Sam Brownback’s budget announcement on February 6, 2015:
On February 5, Governor Sam Brownback announced cuts to this year’s budget due to lower-than-expected sales tax revenue. The budget cut – called an “allotment” – includes a reduction of 1.5 percent ($28.3 million) to K-12 education in Kansas. For the Tonganoxie Public Schools, this is a reduction of $99,156 in our current school year budget. The cut will take place in March. It will take me some time to formulate a plan to address this cut, but I will be working with building and district leaders to find the solutions that – though painful – are the most appropriate. It is important to note that this allotment is separate from the cuts currently being discussed pertaining to SB71 (impact on capital outlay funds) which would be an additional $119,651 loss to Tonganoxie Schools.
This news is upsetting in many, many ways. Sadly, it is news that many have seen coming for quite some time. Until the governor and state lawmakers choose to restore revenue streams – most notably, the tax plan passed in 2012 that has brought us to this point – Tonganoxie Schools and districts all across our state will suffer. I urge you to contact your legislators as soon as possible and tell them that these cuts are hurting Tonganoxie kids and Tonganoxie families.
Although disappointing, especially coming after careful planning was done prior to budget approval, it is vital that we not let these actions deter us from steadfast focus on our students. The work our teachers and staff do every day impacts the future.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
Free Early Childhood Developmental Screenings
As part of the Tonganoxie Basehor-Linwood Special Education Cooperative (TBLSEC) our future students are eligible for free developmental screenings offered once a month at convenient locations in Tonganoxie, Basehor, and Linwood. Children ages birth through five years can be checked for motor development, hearing, vision, personal/emotional and cognitive development, and communication skills.
The next screening date is Friday, February 6 at Linwood Elementary, so if you would like to schedule an appointment please call 913-724-2348.
If your student will have to miss school or needs to leave school early for any reason, please contact the school's office as soon as possible to let them know.
- High School - 913-845-3042
- Middle School - 913-845-2627
- Elementary - 913-845-2290
The district offers a variety of calendar options for our patrons.
2014-15 and 2015-16 Academic Year Calendars - 2 pages. This two-year schedule now allows families to plan far into the future!
A 16-page Athletics and Activities Calendar - This calendar is designed primarily for parents and patrons. It contains the school-year schedule as well as athletic events, school activities, meetings, and a variety of other information.
Printed copies of these calendars will be available at the start of school at the District Administrative Center and in the school buildings. An updated monthly calendar will also be available in the buildings.
This online calendar is updated as changes occur; it will always be more accurate than the printed version.
Kaw Valley League/RSchoolToday High School Events Calendar - this subscription service will allow district patrons to view, search, filter and print a variety of calendars for high school events and activities. The calendar may also be accessed by going to www.kawvalleyleague.org then clicking Tonganoxie at the right side of the page.
Each building is responsible for the upkeep of their online athletics and events calendar, available by clicking the District Calendar link at the very top of the webpage, or going to the Schools menu then choosing the building.
School Start and End Times for 2014-2015
Here are the bell schedules for the 2014-15 school year:
At their September '12 meeting, the Board of Education approved new policies and procedures for requesting district facilities.
A Facility Use Packet has been developed to help patrons with the proper forms, contact information, and billing procedures.
If you currently use, or plan to use, district facilities, please take a look at the packet to help insure that the proper procedures are being followed. Feel free to print the packet so all the information is readily available.
To reserve a district facility:
- Call or visit the scheduling coordinator of the facility you wish to request. For TES, call Carlie Puhr at 913-845-2290. For TMS, call Mark Altman at 845-2627. For THS, (except the Chieftain Room) call Brent Smith at 845-3042. For the Chieftain Room, call Mary Welsh at 845-2654. They will be able to tell you if the facility is available when you need it.
- Once you have determined that the facility is available, fill out the Facility Request form and get a signature from the scheduling coordinator or administrator at the appropriate building.
- Send the completed and signed form, and insurance waiver if required, to Bill Seymour at the District Administrative Center. Fees will be assessed and you will be contacted about payment to secure the facility.
In the event that we have weather that would require an early dismissal or school cancelation, we will send a School Messenger notification using the contact information in your student's file. This website will offer up-to-date information, and we will also notify the following media:
KCTV 5 (KSMO)
WDAF (Fox 4 KC)
KMBZ AM 980
KCUR FM 89.3
WIBW TV 13
|92.9 The Bull|
|Twitter - @BOEVal||Click on any of the links then bookmark that site for future reference.|
If you are the parent or guardian of a student, you can receive SchoolMessenger texts on your cell phone if you don't already. To enroll in the SchoolMessenger texting system:
- Make sure your cell is listed as the primary phone number in your student's Skyward account. Most non-emergency SchoolMessenger announcements are sent to the primary phone only. (If that is a land line, it will obviously not receive any texts). SchoolMessenger draws its contact information from Skyward, so accurate numbers are critical. For emergencies and school cancelations, all phone numbers are contacted, including the home, cell, primary, and work numbers. That's why sometimes you receive a text and sometimes you don't.
- Use that cell phone to text Y or Yes to 68453. You should receive a confirmation text within a few minutes.